Now that I have your attention, please read these remaining thoughts before responding.
First, I believe God’s first choice is fairly easy to discern from scripture [Hint: I Samuel 8]
Second, knowing the unchanging character of God can be examined through reading of His Word, let’s examine a few characteristics of past leaders that pleased God.
- They were flawed, but repented those errors and accepted the consequences (David – II Samuel 12)
- When they acknowledged their dependence upon Him, He was pleased and blessed them (Solomon – I Kings 3)
- God allowed evil kings for His purpose of bringing His people back to Him (II Kings 17:7-23)
- Generally, those chosen were unlikely candidates ( Gideon, the disciples…)
- God always provided guidance when His people stopped to ask Him for it.
Finally, God expects His people to submit themselves to the civil authority He has established (Romans 13: 1-6)